6 How faith is born


Is there anything that you believe that is really important to you?

Faith is not about ideas. Faith is not a ‘leap of faith’.
Faith is something we undertake, deliberately and intentionally,
in response to Who the God of Jesus Christ is, What He says and How He acts.

Christian faith is purposeful participation in the life and ministry of Jesus Christ
Describing Faith

The great example of faith, in the Old Testament, is Abraham. We see Him respond to God, in Who God is, What He says and How He acts.

Then the word of the LORD came to him: "This man will not be your heir, but a son coming from your own body will be your heir." He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars--if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be." Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness. (Book of Genesis, Chapter 15, verses 4-6).

• How does abram see faith, here?
   Most people think of faith as a set of ideas or beliefs.
   Do you agree?  Is it more than this? In what way?  

The invitation to Christian faith is an invitation to get involved in the faith of Jesus Himself. Not just having faith in Jesus, but entering into the faith of Jesus. Jesus invites us to get involved with Him in His relationship with God:

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counsellor to be with you forever-- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." (Gospel of John, Chapter 14, verses 15-21).

Faith is not an emotional experience. Sometimes emotions can come with it. But at its heart, Christian faith is a decision to involve ourselves in Jesus Christ.

Hear the invitation of Jesus.

See what it is that He calls us to get involved in.

Decide whether we want to get involved with Him.

Faith is about intent, not simply intelligence. It is to do with the desire of our heart.

• Read the Gospel of Matthew Chapter 27 verse 57 – Chapter 28 verse 20.
  What does Jesus want His disciples to do? What is the responsibility that He gives to them?

The heart of being a Christian is expressed in baptism

Baptism represents being joined to Jesus in the journey that leads to His death on the Cross. In baptism we are dependent on God’s power to make us alive. We open ourselves to the power that made Him alive again.
We can have many experiences of God touching our life or blessing us, even in Jesus’ name. But being blessed by God or knowing that Jesus brings blessing doesn’t make us Christian disciples. There is a journey that we have to intentionally enter into, if we are to become disciples of Jesus Christ.